Hazardous Materials (Hazmat)
Hazardous wastes, including universal- and e-waste, are products that contain components or chemicals considered hazardous to the environment and animal life (including humans) and are thus prohibited from entering the general waste stream. If carelessly discarded, such items may contaminate our air, water, wildlife and land. Additionally, placing hazardous waste in the trash poses a risk to the waste handler. So alternatives are made available for customers to divert such products from landfills and waste processing facilities. To make an appointment, call 530-583-7800. Solar panels are not accepted at the MRF.
Universal waste (including e-waste) can be dropped off during normal business hours. On selected dates and with an appointment, residential customers of TTSD can self-haul their household hazardous waste, or HHW, to the HHW processing facility located at the MRF. All customers must make an appointment to participate in the hazardous waste event so that we can assign personnel to meet customer demand safely and quickly. Many items are free to qualifying residents (with certain restrictions on material types, weights, and volumes).
- Click here to schedule a RESIDENTIAL HHW appointment.
- Click here to schedule a COMMERCIAL Small Quantity Generator HHW appointment. Commercial entities must have an active EPA Identification Number to be eligible for hazardous waste drop-off at ERL. This is a mandatory regulation that applies to all businesses that generate HHW. If you need assistance with obtaining an EPA ID number, please visit the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website at: www.epa.gov
All customers may self haul household batteries and deposit them for free in designated containers at the following locations:
|ERL Transfer Station
|900 Cabin Creek Road, Truckee
|Truckee Town Hall
|10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee
Residents may also place household batteries curbside for collection on their service day. For easy identification, batteries must be contained in a ziplock bag, and placed on top of the garbage can lid.
Department of Transportation’s safe-hauling restrictions
• Customers are restricted to 15 gallons or 125 pounds per visit
• Containers must be securely sealed
• Use boxes or crates to secure wastes during transport
• Never combine wastes
• Always leave labels for identification
Accepted Items (include but not limited to):
• Contaminated motor oil
• Contaminated gasoline
• Brake fluid
• Automotive Chemicals
• Drain opener
• Oven cleaner
• Rug Cleaner
• Chlorine bleach
• Pool and Spa chemicals
• Furniture polish
• Rubber cement
• Silver polish
• Tub/tile Cleaner
• Toilet Cleaner
• Over the counter Medications
• Syringes in rigid plastic containers
Items NOT Accepted Include:
• Radioactive materials
• Gas cylinders
• Solar Panels
Please note small quantity exempt generators of commercial hazardous waste are not allowed to participate in the residential events, but may make an appointment to self-haul hazmat materials for the Fridays preceding the residential event dates. Prices for commercial customers are available upon request.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
On selected dates and with an appointment, residential customers of TTSD can self-haul their household hazardous waste, or HHW, to the HHW processing facility located at the MRF. All customers must make an appointment to participate in the hazardous waste event so that we can assign personnel to meet customer demand safely and quickly. The program is free to qualifying residents (with certain restrictions).